I hate that I have nothing more original to say than "You GUUYYYYS! It's NICE out! Let's go do yoga in the PARK!" But, you guys, IT IS REALLY NICE OUT. LET'S GO DO YOGA IN THE PARK.
Practicing outside is a completely different experience for me than practicing in the studio or inside my house. Now, don't get me wrong; I adore my studio sessions, surrounded by carefully arranged altars, beautiful and lovingly chosen paint colors, and blissing out to a great playlist. But this time of year I get to remember what it's like to practice with only the sky above me and with the actual ground below.
In addition to the liberating feeling of grounding into the grass as the air swirls around my head and hands, outdoor practice brings a lot of new challenges to the practice. An obvious one is background noise - you just don't get to control the sounds out in the world the way you can in the studio.
Another huge factor is the ground itself - I get used to practicing on a hard or semi-hard, perfectly flat floor during the other three quarters of the year, so it's a humbling and fun practice to attempt "easy" balance poses on the earth. It's so much more work for the stabilizing muscles to balance on one foot in vrksasana or on your hands in bakasana when you're on an uneven surface. Want to make it even harder? Try doing adho mukha svanasana facing downhill!
Something that seems to go hand in hand with the nice weather is free and cheap outdoor yoga. It's an awesome opportunity because you can pack way more students into an outdoor "classroom" than into a traditional studio setting.
Here are some Baltimore opportunities that I highly recommend checking out. If you know of others, don't hesitate to let me know!
- Pop Up Yoga Baltimore. Join one of these amazing ladies every Sunday from 9:30 to 10:30 AM in Canton Waterfront Park. Donation recommend.
- The Pop Up teachers also host full moon practices at the same location - the next one is Monday, 20 June at 8:30 PM.
- YogaWorks Baltimore. Marie Triplett teaches a super fun and educational all-levels class at the Inner Harbor Sunday mornings at 8:00 AM this summer.
- Join Dee Satterfield every Thursday evening for FREE outdoor yoga session hosted by our friends from Station North on the Ynot Lot from 6:30-7:30pm. (June 16, June 23, June 30, July 7th, July 14, July 21, July 28)
- Kim Manfredi offers her annual free Summer Solstice celebration at the American Visionary Art Museum - June 19th from 8:00-9:00 PM. (Bonus: my classmates and I will be assisting!)
All of these events and more will be featured on my Events page, so be sure to check it out.
And if anybody will be with their mats in the parks of Baltimore this summer, keep an eye out for me!